College is different than high school in many ways. For one, your schedule is a lot different than high school with spread out classes. Figuring out how to manage a schedule that changes every day and completing homework can make it easy to forget about having fun too! It took us a while to figure out how to balance school and social activities, but eventually we created a routine that helped us better manage certain aspects of college. Having something fun to look forward to on the weekend, no matter how small, helped us enjoy our weeks more. Here are some plans we made that helped us de-stress from our work and get excited for the weekend.
Some activities we would plan out in advance and shape our weekends around like big events such as concerts, hikes, or birthday celebrations. Other times, going for a walk on the greenway or making a trip to the grocery store to buy ingredients for a new recipe was just as exciting. College can be made out to seem like if you’re not partying all the time or living up the weekend then you’re not having the “real experience”, but I think we learned that it’s the small things with good friends that really create the best memories.
- Explore the outdoors. Living in Knoxville means we are only about an hour and a half from the mountains, so we enjoyed hiking when we had a lighter workload, as these were typically day trips.
- Visit your local farmer’s market. Downtown Knoxville has a farmer’s market every Saturday. We would walk downtown and grab a bite to eat and buy some locally grown fruit and veggies.
- Go to a concert. We found some relatively affordable concerts at eclectic venues like the Bijou! A concert was one of the first things we did together as roommates.
- Attend a sporting event. While not everyone is interested in sports (Emily), nothing compares to the energy and school spirit in college-level athletics. Plus there are typically free items given out games.
- Go to the grocery store. This may not sound exciting, but Sarah Grace and I always looked forward to our weekly trips to the grocery store. We loved being able to get off campus and just talk while trying free samples and sorting through apples.
- Catch a movie.
- Try somewhere new to eat. We discovered the best tacos in Knoxville this way.
- Experiment with a new recipe. 4 words: Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- Go for a walk. Knoxville has some of the most beautiful and convenient walking trails. Go out and explore your city!